Friday 12 November 2021

Sunday 14 November 2021

 BURTON JOYCE 

COMMUNITY CHURCH

with Nottingham North East Circuit, the Methodist Church


Sunday 14 November 2021


A service prepared by Jan Davies, adapted by Phil Colbourn

Hymns in Songs of Fellowship (SoF)


Theme: Times of Darkness & Light 


Introduction Sometimes we may feel that God is not there as He used to be. Perhaps the trick is to hold on, sometimes by the finger tips, and wait until His light shines again. This is a meditation service: no sermon but a series of stories and meditations for us to consider. 


Prayers of adoration and praise 

Blessed are you, Lord our God

Your word brought light and life from chaos. Your light still shines in the darkness of an evil world, and it has never been extinguished. 

Praise be to you, Lord God. 


We see your creative energy in the wonder, colour and beauty of the universe, or in the minute detail of the living cell, or a new born child. 

Praise be to you, Creator God. 


You welcomed the little child, shared the pain of the suffering of the marginalised, touched the leper and healed the blind. 

Praise be to you, Lord Jesus Christ. 


You stretched out your hands in love on a cross; our lives are bound up for eternity with you in your resurrection life. 

Blessed are you, Spirit of the living God.

You inflame the hearts of those who love you. You inspire our worship and guide us in the path that leads to life. 

Praise be to you, the Living God. Amen


We thank you, Lord God, that we are free to meet in your name, to worship you and to speak the name of Jesus without fear. 


We thank you, Lord God, for those things we take for granted: our homes, food, friendship and fellowship.

We thank you, Lord God, for the wonder of creation; for eternal life secured for us in the death and resurrection of Jesus and for your Holy Spirit here with us now. Thanks be to you, Lord God, Amen


Hymn SoF 1067 To be in your presence 


Reading: Lamentations 1 vv 1, 7 & 11-13 


Living with Blackness

Winston Churchill called it his ‘Black Dog’. Anyone who has lived with depression will know just what he meant. The blackness is even more difficult to cope with because, as a Christian, surely, I shouldn’t feel this way? I am judged by those who don’t understand: If I am so fearful and isolated then I cannot be trusting in God, they say. And so, the depression is compounded by guilt. 

Where is my loving Father God in all this? The truth is that He seems entirely absent. Perhaps we can understand why the people of Jerusalem in the reading from Lamentations felt so desolate and I wonder if this is what St John of the Cross meant, when he spoke of ‘The Dark Night of the Soul’? That’s what it feels like to me. Where is the shaft of light to penetrate the darkness when He who is the ‘Light of the World’ has left me to be overwhelmed by shadows? 


Meditation 

Will I ever feel normal again, Lord? Will I laugh again and love and feel something other than this black fear? 

My blackness remains impenetrable until one day, someone I barely know reaches inside the bubble and says, “I understand what you are feeling. I’ve been there too”. Or a friend, who doesn’t understand but so much wants to help, puts his arms around my shoulders and hugs me saying: “It’s all right, you are quite safe!” The cup of tea. The practical help. The listening ear. The doctor’s medicine. Most of all, someone who understands. 

And so, you come Lord, not in a blinding flash, not in visions and ecstasy, but in your people, through simple acts of kindness. 


“Signs of Daybreak” (From Wisdom Stories by Margaret Silf.) 

A rabbi once asked his students how they could tell when night had ended and day was on its way back. “Is it when you can see an animal in the distance, and can tell it is a sheep or a dog?” “No,” answered the rabbi. “Is it when you can look at a tree in the distance, and tell it is a fig tree or a peach tree?” “No,” answered the rabbi. 

“Well,” the students demanded, “when is it?” 

The rabbi said, “It is when you can look in the face of another human being, and see that he or she is your brother or your sister. Because if you cannot do that, then no matter what time it is, it is still night”. 


Quiet ReflectionLiving in a dark world

Do you find this happens more as you get older or in illness? 

How have you coped with it? 


Hymn SoF 1419 Light of the world, you step down into darkness 


Reading: John 1 vv1-5 


“Seeing the Sunrise”

Some years ago, I lived in a village situated in a valley and early each morning I went for a walk because I thought it was good for me. I often started out grumpy but usually felt better at the end. The only way out of the village was up. I set out early one November morning and puffed my way up the hill before turning onto a footpath across the fields. This proved to be a bad choice: I put one foot onto what I thought was solid path but my foot sank, my foot came up but my boot didn’t, stuck fast in the mud. I stumbled and landed, hands first, with my nose in the quagmire. I was now beyond grumpy but, from the ground, I looked up and there in front of me was the most glorious sight. The sun had just risen, the clouds on the horizon had lifted and the scene before me was transformed, painted in red and gold. The underside of the clouds glowed in the crimson light and golden shafts of sunlight streaked across the sparkling fields. It didn’t last more than a few minutes, and I could so easily have missed it if I hadn’t looked up from the ground at that moment. 


Meditation

Too often, Lord, I concentrate on the darkness and fail to lift my eyes to the sunrise. When I do lift them to you, Lord, I see the light again. You step down into the darkness and light penetrates to the depths of my mind. Darkness is dispelled and I am filled with hope. Help me Lord to lift my eyes to the Light. Amen


“Making a Saint” (From Wisdom Stories by Margaret Silf) 

Out shopping with his mother, Johnny happened to look up at the nearby cathedral. He wasn’t impressed. From outside, the windows looked dull and grimy. “Let’s go inside” she said. 

Johnny was entranced by the magical coloured patterns on the stone floor of the ancient cathedral that seemed to dance in front of him as the light streamed in through the windows. “What is it Mum?” 

“Well,” replied his mother, “it’s a saint. Look up there. The light is shining through her making her picture dance on the stone floor.” 

Johnny stored this up in his heart and, a few days later in an RE lesson, when his teacher asked: “What do you think makes a saint?” Johnny’s hand shot up. “A saint is someone the sun shines through” he said, “and when that happens, the stones come to life.” 


Quiet ReflectionLet your light shine

Does it help to just keep going until the darkness passes? 

How can you continue to let Christ’s shine through you? 


Hymn SoF 1377 Jesus Be the Centre 


Prayers of Intercession 

In the Darkness let your light shine 


Lord of peace; bring peace where there is violence. 

We bring to you Lord the peoples of Syria and Iraq, civilians and soldiers, the people of Yemen, and all those who live in fear. 

In the Darkness let your light shine 


Lord of the poor and the marginalised. 

We pray for refugees living in camps, suffering cold, disease and a lack of hope. May they receive mercy, compassion and practical help. 

In the Darkness let your light shine 


Lord of creation, forgive us for misusing your world. We pray for a just outcome from COP26. We pray for the people suffering drought, floods or wild fires because of climate change. 

In the Darkness let your light shine 


Lord of healing and wholeness; we bring to you those who are known to us personally who need your healing power............ 

In the Darkness let your light shine 


Send your Holy Spirit. May your Kingdom Come. 

In the Darkness let your light shine. Amen


Final Prayer
Light of the World, may we live in the light: even in times of darkness, may your light shine through us. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment